You're all excited with the news that you're having a baby. But now what name? I feel choosing a baby name is one of the most thought intense decisions you will make as a parent. Below are 10 tips to help you choose the perfect name for your baby.
1) Ask yourself if you would you like that name when you got older? If not then maybe you should do some more brainstorming.
2) Be sure both you and your spouse like the baby name you're considering.
3) Research name meanings and origins. Even though they don't matter, remember your child at some point in their life will look that up.
4) Does the entire name (first, middle and last) sound good together. This sounds funny, but do say the entire baby name out loud.
5) Place meaning into the name. A relative's name, loved one, biblical character, etc. My daughter's middle name is my mother's middle name. My son's middle name is the same as his dads.
6) Avoid names that could cause your child embarrassment in the future. You may love the name but really, keep your child's best interest in mind.
7) Is the name common in the family? Or has someone else already chosen that baby name? I always wanted to have a boy named Scott. However my husbands family already had 2 Scott's so of course we chose a different name.
8) Family traditions can sometimes be a major part of choosing a baby name; however do not allow it to be the only component. Remember this is your baby and there's always a middle name.
9) This one is my own personal opinion. Unless you want your child to have the same name as many other babies that year, try and avoid the top names. Of course you may fall in love with that top name, just keep this point in mind.
10) Have fun. After all the challenges of being parents, you'll look back and see this was one of the easiest decisions you had to make when it comes to your children.